SA Infiltration-type Street Inlet was developed as part of the Low Impact Development technique presented to resolve the problems such as flooding by heavy rain and land hollowing phenomenon by increasing impermeability layers which are frequent in the modern society. The product harvests rainwater in its collection part, settles and filters impurities in the filtering part, detains water in the infiltration tank, and interfuses tank to provide multiple functions such as nonpoint pollutant treatment, land hollowing prevention, flooding prevention in the event of rainfall.
Rainwater runoff reduction effect resulting from temporary rainwater detention
Inducing rainwater to infiltrate into soil to secure water resources
(underground water resource) and preventing land hollowing phenomenon
Filter area cleaning for easy maintenance
What is nonpoint source pollution?
Nonpoint source pollution is pollution resulting from many diffuse sources such as polluted runoff from urban area, roads, agricultural area, mountain area, or construction sites
(Water Quality and Aquatic Ecosystem Protection Act Article 2, # 2)
Point Source Pollution
Nonpoint Source Pollution
Industrial sources, Domestic sewage, Human excreta treatment plant, Livestock farm
Runoff from soil, roads, rice paddies, fields, woods, or pollutants in the air, etc.
– Specific discharging point
– Concentrated discharging to a point through pipes (mainly treatment plants)
– Less affected by natural conditions & annually constant discharging amount
– Easy to collect and high processing efficiency
– man-made and as a natural result
– Non-specific discharging point
– Discharging to larger areas by dilution and diffusion
– Difficult to predict due to drastic changes in discharging amount affected by natural causes such as rainfall
– Hard to collect and erratic processing efficiency
Nonpoint source pollution is hard to collect due to the unspecified pollutant routes and its outlet. Since the amount of nonpoint source pollution is greatly affected by the weather conditions, the designing and the maintenance of its treatment facility is difficult.
SA Infiltration-Type Street Inlet
SA Infiltration-Type Street Inlet Floor Plan
Rainwater Runoff Reduction Effect and Test Result
In case of hourly rainfall 50m/m/hr, flooding prevention facility of 10% rainwater runoff reduction